Public Policy and Advocacy Committee
The Public Policy and Advocacy Committee works closely with the NJPRA Advocate, Chance Lykins of MBI Gluckshaw, as well as with both state and national legislators.
The overall goal of NJPRA Public Policy Committee is to advocate for a mental health system that supports the recovery of individuals who have persistent mental illnesses. The Committee strives to play a key role in the development, implementation and funding of wellness and recovery oriented service initiatives, as well as the development of state policies, regulations and legislation that support the recovery process and the integration of behavioral and medical health services. Committee members work closely with State Officials, Legislators and other advocacy groups to achieve these objectives.
- Formulate and prioritize public policy agenda for Board approval.
- Communicate advocacy strategies in conjunction with MBI Gluckshaw Advocate.
- Attend quarterly meetings with DMHAS Administration to advocate for psychiatric rehabilitation services and persons served in the public mental health system.
- Develop and deliver testimony at Legislative and Departmental Budget Hearings.
- Develop position statements which comment on DMHAS policies or initiatives.
- Track key bills going through the State Legislature with MBI Advocate which may impact psychiatric rehabilitation services.
- As a member of the Mental Health Coalition, communicate NJPRA’s policy positions and partner with other stakeholder groups on issues of common interest.
- Communicate NJPRA positions and advocacy efforts to membership at organizational events as well as to the public and legislators via electronic alerts, print and social media and special meetings.
- Assist the Staff Training/Conference Committee in developing institutes related to public policy.
Enter your information and receive updates from NJPRA on upcoming events, public policy alerts, and mental health news for the Garden State.